Keeping a solid scholarship resume is important. Instead of applying for a job, you’re applying for free money! This Scholarship Tool Kit will help you start your scholarship resume, which you can continue adding to throughout high school. You can also find scholarship resume ideas on the blue sheet in the stand by the Scholarship Desk in the Counseling Center.
How to succeed in finding scholarships:
Monthly scholarship packets are available on the Scholarship Cabinet in the Counseling Center, or on this site under "Featured Scholarships".
- Don’t fall for scams. you should NEVER pay to get a scholarship. Do not give out personal financial information like bank accounts, credit card #’s, or your SSN.
- Don’t underestimate small scholarships. The smaller award scholarships are often less competitive.
- Don’t wait until your senior year to look for scholarships, they are available for grades 10-12 all year round!
Before you apply:
- Create a scholarship resume (awards, service, experiences, activities, leadership, skills etc.).
- Use a calendar and checklist to get organized.
- Prioritize your applications by deadline.
- It’s the story that counts!
- Be creative, use fresh language and think outside the box.
- Give examples and be specific.
- Be passionate in your essay and write about something of interest to you.
- Proofread a printed copy of the essay for spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Use a professional email address.
- Remove inappropriate and immature material on your social media accounts.
- Make a photocopy of your application before mailing it.
- Send the application by certified mail with delivery confirmation.
- Apply early and often…Apply, apply, apply!
Most Common Application Mistakes:
- Missing deadlines
- Failing to follow directions – i.e. essay length
- Leaving out required information
- Failing to tailor the application to the sponsor
- Failing to proofread the application
- Exaggerating or lying on the application
- Applying for an award for which you do not qualify
- Writing a boring or potentially offensive essay